This workshop explores the tricky art of writing and editing short short fiction (flash fiction), or stories under 1,000 words. Writers of short short fiction face the unique challenge of creating something fragmentary, but complete; something brief, but satisfying; little moments that hint at a whole world. This short short fiction workshop will focus on various approaches writers can take to write complete and complex stories in 1,000 words or fewer.
Short Short Story Workshop Goals
- To identify and read exemplary works of short short fiction as a foundational study to creating your own;
- To generate new drafts of work with a focus on short short fiction;
- To provide critical feedback on work so you can revise and make it as strong as it can be;
- To help you further strengthen your knowledge of form and to provide you with the environment to better understand your individual voice so you can apply this to future works;
- To help you learn and improve on the techniques of writing and self-editing so that you are aware of your preferred forms and boundaries and be able to consider how you might push your preferred forms into your best craft.